Skip to main content

Are we products of our environment or products of our expectations?

Are we products of our environment or products of our expectations? 

I believe we are the products of both our environment and expectations because these two ideas are so complexly intertwined. 

Environment

I think that our environment can impact and shape us. 
Surroundings that can shape us include: family, culture, religion, and socioeconomic status 
All of these environmental aspects can influence our choices, behaviors, interactions, attitudes, and even our expectations. 

Expectations

However... I think our expectations also impact and shape us.
Expectations that can shape us include: personal beliefs, perceptions, and attitudes
All of these expectations are shaped by our upbringing, past experiences, personal aspirations, and exposure to diverse ways of thinking


Interconnectedness 

Notice the overlap between some of the words between environment and expectation... This is the interconnectedness I was talking about in the beginning. We see that our environmental surroundings can influence things like our attitudes which are also a part of our expectations that shape us. We also see that our expectations can be shaped by our upbringing and past experiences which are part of our surroundings that shape us.

Value of Environment or Expectations Based on Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic Motivation

Both of these ideas are also impacted by the personality of an individual. 

If you ask several mothers about raising their children, they will typically acknowledge how fascinating it is that newborn babies immediately are born with a certain level of personality right from the get-go. This personality is seen in the simple actions of babies, a baby who likes to cuddle with a parent vs a baby who prefers to sleep in a swaddle by themselves, a baby who is fussier vs a more easygoing baby. These preferences are all determined by the simple action of crying, to show something is not right. It is also important to note that personality also does change. As babies become children and then teens, and then adults. 

Let's take a look at two examples of how personality impacts these ideas of expectations and environment:
If someone has a kid who questions society and authority right from birth, we might see an individual who is more intrinsically driven. In this case, the individual's expectations will hold more value therefore regardless of environment, this kid will always be naturally more impacted by their expectations. On the other hand, if someone has a kid who is very go-with-the-flow right from birth, we might see an individual who is more extrinsically motivated. In this case, the individual's environment will hold more value and cause a larger impact regardless of the individual's expectations. 

Personal Examples

Now let's take a look at a personal example of when I was a child based on some of the memories of my mother raising my brother and I:

*Starting these examples off with the important note that my brother and I are twins so my mother had a first look at two different children with the same environment at the same time*

One, thing she noticed right away was that I was a very fussy child, I liked what I liked and you could not convince me otherwise. If I was upset no person, toy, or distraction could get me to stop except for myself. On the other hand, there was my brother who liked what he liked but could be convinced to stop crying with simple distraction. Immediately, within months after birth, we see an intrinsically motivated baby (me) and an extrinsically motivated baby (my brother). 

As we got a little older she noticed another set of fascinating traits that came naturally to us. That my brother was more of a tester and that I was more of an observer... let me explain. My mom always shares the story of when we both learned to walk. My brother would do anything to try to walk on his feet that meant pulling himself, falling, then getting up, taking wobbly steps, and then falling again. Then there was me, who observed my brother during the entirety of his attempt to walk, not once getting up to experience the wobbly steps myself. After watching him try several times, I just stood up and started walking. In this case, it would appear that my brother would be more intrinsically motivated and I would be more extrinsically motivated. 

Conclusion 

So we can see, that we as humans are shaped by both our environment and our expectations. We can look at what shapes us sort of as a percentage of 100%. A certain percentage being the impact of our environment and a certain percentage being the impact of our expectations. This percentage breakup is constantly fluctuating based on our stage of development and age. However, there will always be an innate sense of a stronger intrinsic motivation or extrinsic motivation. 

To this day, I would consider myself extremely intrinsically motivated. If I were to create my personal percentage of environment-to-expectation impact, I would say it was 85% expectation and 15% environment. I have always been naturally motivated and my expectations have always held more weight (or value) since I can remember. However, I also acknowledge that all the opportunities that my early intrinsic motivated expectations got me, surrounded me with more intrinsically motivated individuals cultivating an overall environment where our expectations had more value. So the impact of my environment and expectations were aligned leading to the same result, regardless if the environment had more impact or my expectations had more impact. 

Comments

  1. Kyra, I agree and said the same thing that we are a product of both together and they are very complicated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Literacy History

Headshot: Gary Gold Hello everyone! I'm Kyra Pitts, a senior here at New Jersey City University pursuing my Bachelor of Fine Arts, with a major in Dance in collaboration with the Joffrey Ballet School in Greenwich Village, Manhattan. As you can probably tell from my major, my primary passion is dance, complemented by other art-based hobbies like knitting, drawing, and photography. Balancing both my college education and my job as a professional dancer with the Ellen Sinopoli Dance Company, my life is a rather busy one. However, I was interested in taking this Contemporary Literacies class as I enjoy looking critically at the world around us, especially through a lens of media and literacy. Understanding and analyzing the culture in which we exist is crucial for navigating the modern day. Coming from a white middle-class background, literacy became a part of my life at a fairly average age. While not initially interested in reading or writing before preschool, my curiosity grew rapi

TOWM - Part I

The Other Wes Moore - Part I At the end of chapter 2, we discover that Moore (the author) has a love for basketball. After recently moving, he felt homesick and rather antsy, missing his old neighborhood and friends. He quickly realized that his grandparents' house, had more rules than his mother's. This meant that when the street lights turned on, he had to head home and all the chores had to be done before he was able to go outside and play.  Moore said his "restlessness was cured only by heading out into these new streets" (42 - 43). After finishing all of his chores for the day he was permitted to go play basketball a couple streets over.  He played basketball with some of the guys in the area and says that he "played hard, lost pretty bad, but enjoyed every minute of it" (44). He was playing with guys older, and bigger, and they all knew each other but he managed to still enjoy his time playing ball with them.  Then Moore (the author) acknowledges somet

TOWM - Part II

The Other Wes Moore - Part II What music played a special role in the other Wes Moore’s life? In chapter three, we discover that all the other Wes Moore "really wanted to do was either play football professionally or become a rapper" (58). It was one of his dreams to become a rapper and rock a "sold-out crowd in Madison Square" (58). However, in the meantime, he takes up selling drugs to make quick money before achieving one of his goals. So, because of this, we know that rap music played a special role in the other Wes Moore's life. But in the end, did it really end up playing a special role in his life? For Wes Moore (the author) music played a more important role... A little bit into chapter four, we learn that music began to play a special role in Wes' life, specifically, hip-hop. Growing up during the 1980s and 1990s, especially in New York City, culture was extremely vibrant. And hip-hop, a genre of music born in the Bronx, began to take its place on