Skip to main content

My Literacy History

Headshot: Gary Gold

Hello everyone! I'm Kyra Pitts, a senior here at New Jersey City University pursuing my Bachelor of Fine Arts, with a major in Dance in collaboration with the Joffrey Ballet School in Greenwich Village, Manhattan. As you can probably tell from my major, my primary passion is dance, complemented by other art-based hobbies like knitting, drawing, and photography. Balancing both my college education and my job as a professional dancer with the Ellen Sinopoli Dance Company, my life is a rather busy one. However, I was interested in taking this Contemporary Literacies class as I enjoy looking critically at the world around us, especially through a lens of media and literacy. Understanding and analyzing the culture in which we exist is crucial for navigating the modern day.

Coming from a white middle-class background, literacy became a part of my life at a fairly average age. While not initially interested in reading or writing before preschool, my curiosity grew rapidly during my early years of structured education. In the beginning, I would "pretend" to read tracing my finger along each line of text in a book speaking absolute gibberish. But once I was in elementary school and my knowledge of the alphabet was applied programs like "book-in-a-bag" used in my kindergarten and first-grade classes, allowed me to choose books according to my reading level and interest to practice reading at home, this played a significant role in my early literacy. My parents greatly supported my literacy journey during this time. Embracing phonics, the sound-spelling method, further fueled my passion for learning new words daily, outside of school (and made me feel quite excited to share my knowledge of these new words I had learned on my own). Writing came naturally by early 1st grade, and by 2nd grade, I felt confident in my reading abilities. My literacy improved year after year, each year feeling more confident than the one before. 

In middle school, I was placed in "advanced" classes, surrounding myself with strongly literate peers that further enhanced my literacy skills. This period also marked my discovery of a visual and audible approach to reading, incorporating audiobooks alongside physical books to boost comprehension. Then, transitioning to online high school while pursuing dance training in New York City exposed me to eloquent and highly literate individuals over the age of 20 in my dance school. Striving to match their level of literacy, my word choice strengthened during my high school years. A significant source of inspiration for my literacy development was the artistic director of the pre-professional training program at Joffrey Ballet School. After graduating last spring, my continued motivation to enhance my literacy comes mostly from reading articles, driven by my natural inclination to always learn and absorb new information. Ultimately having an unconventional education path and choosing a career that is not typical, I already analyze the world we live in and I feel that this class will help me take an even deeper look and approach. 

Comments

  1. The format of your blog looks great, nice photos! You went into great detail regarding your literacy experience and I enjoyed reading it, keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TOWM - Part I

The Other Wes Moore - Part I At the end of chapter 2, we discover that Moore (the author) has a love for basketball. After recently moving, he felt homesick and rather antsy, missing his old neighborhood and friends. He quickly realized that his grandparents' house, had more rules than his mother's. This meant that when the street lights turned on, he had to head home and all the chores had to be done before he was able to go outside and play.  Moore said his "restlessness was cured only by heading out into these new streets" (42 - 43). After finishing all of his chores for the day he was permitted to go play basketball a couple streets over.  He played basketball with some of the guys in the area and says that he "played hard, lost pretty bad, but enjoyed every minute of it" (44). He was playing with guys older, and bigger, and they all knew each other but he managed to still enjoy his time playing ball with them.  Then Moore (the author) acknowledges somet

TOWM - Part II

The Other Wes Moore - Part II What music played a special role in the other Wes Moore’s life? In chapter three, we discover that all the other Wes Moore "really wanted to do was either play football professionally or become a rapper" (58). It was one of his dreams to become a rapper and rock a "sold-out crowd in Madison Square" (58). However, in the meantime, he takes up selling drugs to make quick money before achieving one of his goals. So, because of this, we know that rap music played a special role in the other Wes Moore's life. But in the end, did it really end up playing a special role in his life? For Wes Moore (the author) music played a more important role... A little bit into chapter four, we learn that music began to play a special role in Wes' life, specifically, hip-hop. Growing up during the 1980s and 1990s, especially in New York City, culture was extremely vibrant. And hip-hop, a genre of music born in the Bronx, began to take its place on